By Kalliopi Nikolopoulou
From German idealism onward, Western thinkers have sought to revalue tragedy, consistently converging at one cardinal aspect: tragic paintings hazards aestheticizing actual violence. Tragically Speaking seriously examines this revaluation, providing a brand new figuring out of the altering which means of tragedy in literary and ethical discourse. It questions universal assumptions in regards to the Greeks’ philosophical relation to the tragic culture and concerning the moral and political ramifications of latest theories of tragedy.
Starting with the poet Friedrich Hölderlin and carrying on with to the current, Kalliopi Nikolopoulou strains how tragedy was once translated into an idea (“the tragic”) that used to be then revised extra into the “beyond the tragic” of postmetaphysical modern notion. whereas spotting a few of the benefits of this revaluation, Tragically Speaking concentrates at the losses implicit in this sort of flip. It argues that through translating tragedy into an idea, those rereadings effected a problematical subordination of politics to ethics: the drama of human clash gave technique to philosophical mirrored image, bracketing the area in want of the belief of the realm. the place modern inspiration valorizes absence, passivity, the opposite, rhetoric, writing, and textuality, the writer argues that their “deconstructed opposites” (presence, will, the self, fact, speech, and motion, all of that are crucial to tragedy) are both priceless for any significant dialogue of ethics and politics.
Preview of Tragically Speaking: On the Use and Abuse of Theory for Life (Symploke Studies in Contemporary Theory) PDF
Best Critical Theory books
Whereas put up- and decolonial theorists have completely debunked the belief of historic development as a Eurocentric, imperialist, and neocolonialist fallacy, a number of the such a lot in demand modern thinkers linked to the Frankfurt School―Jürgen Habermas, Axel Honneth, and Rainer Forst―have defended principles of growth, improvement, and modernity and feature even made such principles important to their normative claims.
In order to comprehend the main debates in images and how to observe the attention-grabbing concerns raised by way of serious idea in your personal sensible paintings, this is often the publication for you! This available publication cuts via usually tough and intimidating educational language to convey comprehensible, stimulating dialogue and summaries of the unique texts.
During this witty, far-reaching, and completely unique paintings, Allucquère Rosanne Stone examines the myriad methods smooth know-how is not easy conventional notions of gender id. Face-to-face conferences, or even cell conversations, involuntarily show the most important features of identification comparable to gender, age, and race.
Those 5 essays on Hegel supply the English-speaking reader a long-awaited chance to learn the paintings of 1 of Germany's so much individual philosophers, Hans-Georg Gadamer. Gadamer's specified hermeneutic strategy may have an enduring impact on Hegel experiences.
- The Dialectics of Liberation (Radical Thinkers)
- What Does Europe Want?: The Union and Its Discontents (Insurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture)
- The Critical Theory of Jürgen Habermas
- Sites of Race: Conversations with Susan Searls Giroux
- The War of Desire and Technology at the Close of the Mechanical Age
Extra info for Tragically Speaking: On the Use and Abuse of Theory for Life (Symploke Studies in Contemporary Theory)
2. Gedichte nach 1800. hrsg. von Friedrich Beißner (Stuttgart, 1953). “Voice of the folk” (first and moment types) from Odes and Elegies via Friedrich Hölderlin (Wesleyan college Press, 2008). © 2008 by means of Nick Hoff and reprinted via permission of Wesleyan collage Press. “Voice of the folk” is taken from Friedrich Hölderlin: Poems and Fragments, translated through Michael Hamburger (Anvil Press Poetry, 2004). All rights reserved synthetic within the us of a Indexing of this ebook used to be paid for by means of a provide from the Julian Park ebook Fund, collage at Buffalo. Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication facts Nikolopoulou, Kalliopi. Tragically conversing : at the use and abuse of idea for all times/ Kalliopi Nikolopoulou. p. cm. — (Symploke reports in modern concept) comprises bibliographical references and index. isbn 978-0-8032-4091-9 (pbk. : alk. paper) 1. Tragedy — historical past and feedback — concept, and so on. 2. Tragic, The. I. identify. pn1892. n54 2012 809'. 9162 — dc23 2012026188 Set in Arno through Laura Wellington. Designed via Nathan Putens. Στη μνήμη της Μαρίας Ζαχαριάδου-Κοσμίδου. Η ζωή της με δίδαξε για την αγάπη και την αλήθεια πολύ περισσότερο από ό,τι με δίδαξε η φιλοσοφία στα θρανία. • To the reminiscence of Maria Zachariadou-Kosmidou. Her existence has taught me extra approximately love and fact than philosophy ever may well. For whilst misfortune’s fraudful hand Prepares to pour the vengeance of the sky, What mortal shall her strength stand up to? Aeschylus, Persians but there's a grace on mortals who so nobly die. Aeschylus, Agamemnon Contents Acknowledgments xi creation xv half 1: previous Quarrels 1. Orient/Occident, Ancients/ Moderns: The Tyranny of concept over Greece three 2. An previous Quarrel: Poetry and Philosophy fifty two half 2: For the affection of fact three. Habeas Corpus: Foucault’s Fearless Speech ninety three four. Plato’s Courts: Phaedrus and Apology 119 5. Euripides’s Verdict: The Bacchae 157 half three: Passions 6. Ῥίζα Αἱματόεσσα: On Antigone 171 7. Antigone’s young ones 209 Appendix 247 Notes 257 Works stated 305 Index 317 Acknowledgments i need to thank the arts Institute, college at Buffalo, and the Stanley Seeger Fellowship at Princeton’s Hellenic reviews, for delivering me time and a wealthy highbrow surroundings to pursue my examine. At Princeton I profited greatly from entry to fashionable Greek fabrics and from my stimulating encounters with Brooke Holmes, Christian Wildberg, and Froma Zeitlin, all of whom made trip in their busy schedules to percentage their insights with me. My gratitude to all of the different fellows, whose day-by-day conversations have been maintaining at serious moments of the venture. particularly, i want to say Anastasia Panagiotopoulou for her friendship and clever enter over espresso in her attractive Sparta balcony; Mogens Pelt generously forwarded to me any assets he stumbled on suitable; and Gerassimos Moschonas spent many a night dedicated to highbrow alternate. especially, the graciousness and tips of Dimitris Gondicas made my remain at Princeton as fruitful because it should be.